Thoughts and Feelings on being a priestess of The Cailleach
Back in the spring when I was asked to become a Priestess of The Cailleach, I had a bit of a panic. I don’t know how to do that! How do I know I’m doing it right! All my perfectionism urges fared up big time.
I started to look around to see if there was a class I could do, or someone I could go to who could tell me how to be a priestess of The Cailleach, but She Herself said, “Stop. I don’t want you to do those things. I have spent your entire life guiding you to be my priestess, you already have the knowledge.”
Then, She told me that She was going to sleep for the summer, and I could have until autumn to get my head round the whole thing.
It’s autumn (September 2016) and I can feel in my bones The Cailleach beginning to stir. So, it is now time to take up the mantle of the priestesshood, and do what I am meant to do.
I thought I would start with the 30 Day of Deity Devotions created by Arrin Deuognatos. Please do not copy without crediting him. He is no longer on tumblr, but you can find further information here.
I make no guarantee that these will be consecutive days as life does get in the way at times. If the response on one day seems particularly short, I may combine it with the response on the next day and just publish the once.
- A basic introduction of the deity
- How did you become first aware of this deity?
- Symbols and icons of this deity
- A favourite myth or myths of this deity
- Members of the family – genealogical connections
- Other related deities and entities associated with this deity
- Names and epithets
- Variations on this deity (aspects, regional forms, etc.)
- Common mistakes about this deity
- Offerings – historical and UPG
- Festivals, days, and times sacred to this deity
- Places associated with this deity and their worship
- What modern cultural issues are closest to this deity’s heart?
- Has worship of this deity changed in modern times?
- Any mundane practices that are associated with this deity?
- How do you think this deity represents the values of their pantheon and cultural origins?
- How does this deity relate to other gods and other pantheons?
- How does this deity stand in terms of gender and sexuality? (historical and/or UPG)
- What quality or qualities of this god do you most admire? What quality or qualities of them do you find the most troubling?
- Art that reminds you of this deity
- Music that makes you think of this deity
- A quote, a poem, or piece of writing that you think this deity resonates strongly with
- Your own composition – a piece of writing about or for this deity
- A time when this deity has helped you
- A time when this deity has refused to help
- How has your relationship with this deity changed over time?
- Worst misconception about this deity that you have encountered
- Something you wish you knew about this deity but don’t currently
- Any interesting or unusual UPG to share?
- Any suggestions for others just starting to learn about this deity?