Any mundane practices that are associated with The Cailleach?
Since I don’t know what practices may have been associated with The Cailleach in ancient times, and I am pretty much making it up as I go along when it comes to religious and spiritual practices in modern times, it follows that I am also making things up as a I go along with it comes to mundane, or non-religious/non-magical practices.
There is nothing wrong with doing this. After all, you can hardly break the rules if no one actually knows if there are any rules. Right?
As I remarked two posts back I believe the major social or cultural issues of today that The Cailleach would be interested in are environmental issues, most especially those to do with clean water (given Her link to freshwater rivers and springs), land management, and animal welfare (especially the wild boar and deer).
Any mundane actions that help to make the world a tiny bit better would be honouring Her.
10 Things You Could Do to Honour The Cailleach
- Pick up the rubbish along a road or nature trail (Making sure to be safe at all times!);
- Adopt a section of roadway to help the local city or council pay for maintaining it;
- Volunteer your time at a local zoo or wildlife park or nature preserve;
- Leave appropriate food outside for the birds and other wild animals in winter;
- Support the work of others who are fighting to keep our water sources unpolluted in whatever way is most appropriate for you;
- Reduce, re-use, recycle as much as possible;
- Buy locally sourced food and goods as much as possible;
- If you have the space, grow your own food or some of it;
- As much as possible, reduce your carbon footprint;
- Walk more (or cycle), drive less.
So, what else could you do?