It’s Kitchen Witch Wednesday!
Since I’ve been cooking for just myself in recent months I don’t often buy a whole chicken, but I had a coupon for £1.50 off a whole free range bird. Now, what to do with it! Because while I can get lots of meals out of this bird, I don’t want to get bored eating nothing but chicken for the next week.
To start, I put the whole chicken in my slow cooker and turned it on high. This allowed me to go about my day, and even go out for a few hours, while it happily cooked at home. Added bonus: chicken stock!
Chicken Enchiladas, my way
- Meat from 1 breast and thigh
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 3 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 50 gm butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chilli and paprika paste
- 2 heaped tablespoons flour
- 1/2 liter milk
- grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans in chilli sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large tortillas
- Heat the butter and oil in a pot and add the bacon. Let it cook down until crispy. Add in the onions and mushrooms, cook until softened.
- Stir in the chipotle chilli paste.
- Add the flour and stir constantly for 2 – 3 minutes to let the flour cook down.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring it in completely each time, until it reaches a desired consistency. You’re aiming for a medium-thick sauce as it will loosen up further with the addition of the tomatoes and beans.
- Add in the tins of chopped tomatoes and beans, and about a half cup of grated cheese. Stir to mix. Taste, then season with salt and pepper. If you’d like a bit more heat, add some dried chilli flakes or a good dash of chipotle Tabasco seasoning.
- Chop the chicken into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Butter a large casserole dish
- Place 1/6 of the chicken into each tortilla, spoon a bit of the sauce into each, and roll up. Place in a single layer in the casserole dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the tortillas and grate more cheese over the top.
- Bake in a hot oven for 45 – 55 minutes, until it is hot and bubbling.
This recipe can serve 3 – 4, so will provide several nice meals for me.
All of these meals can be easily frozen as well.
More chicken recipes
- Easy, Healthy Chicken Enchiladas (otherwisesimple.wordpress.com)
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas (capturesunshine.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Pot Pie (simplysophisticatedcooking.wordpress.com)
- New Recipe Alert! Crock Pot Chipotle Chicken “tacos” w/ sweet and spicy salsa! (onemotherofaday.wordpress.com)